Wednesday, March 31, 2010

That Hebrew Song from Prince of Egypt

I almost cried tonight when the Jews were going out of Egypt and the children started singing the Hebrew bit in the middle of the song "When you believe". I got curious what they were actually singing so I looked it up. Here are the lyrics in Hebrew and English.

"Ashira l'adonai ki ga'oh ga'ah
Ashira l'adonai ki ga'oh ga'ah
Michamocha, ba-elim adonai
Michamocha nedar-bakodesh
Nachitah v'chasd'cha, am zu ga'alta
Nachitah v'chasd'cha, am zu gaalta
Ashira, Ashira, Ashira..."


Translation:
"I will sing unto Adonai for He has triumphed gloriously.
I will sing unto Adonai for He has triumphed gloriously.
Who is like You, O Adondai, among the gods?
Who is like You, glorious in holiness?
In Your mercy, you lead the people You redeemed.
In Your mercy, you lead the people You redeemed.
I will sing, I will sing, I will sing..."

"Adonai" means Lord and is a substitute for God's personal name Yahweh. Whenever you're reading in the Old Testament and it says "LORD" in the English that's where a Jew would say "Adonai" instead of pronouncing God's name. Anyway, the song in the movie is based on the song Moses sings in Exodus 15:1-18, specifically verses 1, 11 and 13. I thought it was awesome seeing the joy of people as they came out of slavery into freedom.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree!! its catchy and I also love the song, its so simplistic but has such meaning. Praise Adonai!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YHWH Yahweh. JHVH Jehovah. God's personal name. It means "He Causes to Become"

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Stand still and see the salvation of JEHOVAH!"

    Moses had an AWESOME privilege; if I make it through Armageddon, I can't wait to meet him in the Resurrection! -- John 5:28,29; 6:39,40,44; Acts 24:15.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psalms 147:1 - Praise Jah! It is good to sing praises to our God; Hiw pleasant and fitting it is to praise him!😀🙌🏼

    ReplyDelete